Saturday 16 March 2019
D tuned ukulele offers you an elegant pathway to the ephemeral magic of Irish Traditional Music (ITM)
This 1.5 hour workshop opens the door to participants of any skill level, through the study of popular song and instrumental technique on ukulele tuned in D.
Main presenters Peter McMeel and Brendan Williams have over 100 years musical experience between them. Brendan, a son of the Emerald Isle, is a world class multi-instrumentalist, specialist ITM teacher and ukulele enthusiast. Peter McMeel, Brendan’s student of 30 years, is also a highly experienced multi-instrumental teacher and ukulele enthusiast. They will be ably supported by half a dozen regular participants of the Toowong Twin ITM Session as well. We have all been playing D tuned ukuleles together for the past couple of years at the Toowong Twin Session.
The ukulele, once it is tuned in D, perfectly joins the panoply of the more usual ITM instruments such as tin whistle, fiddle, banjo, guitar & concertina etc. Ukulele is a perfect accompaniment instrument too. This makes the ukulele tuned in D an intelligent first choice instrument for ITM.
Participants will learn
- The purpose and method of D tuning, it’s relevance to the Irish Tradition.
- Repertoire appropriate to student skill level. Eg Beginner- Raglan Road song, and ukulele accompaniment.
- An overview of intermediate level strum hand technique and it’s nomenclature as per the March 6 Session at Coorparoo BUMS.
- Scales in D tuning. The D scale in D tuning. (Your C scale.) Em & G.
- Complete performance of Song or Instrumental.
Members of the Toowong Twin Sessions will be on hand, to play along on traditional instruments and more ukes of course!
Saturday 16 March 2019
52 Murphy Rd, Zillmere QLD 4034
10:00 -11:30 AM
Doors open 9:45
BUMS Inc Members $5 (2018-2019 financial year)
Get your tickets now on Trybooking https://www.trybooking.com/464379
To get you familiar with Irish Traditional Music, we invite you come to
BUMS Inc Big Uke Jam at Coorparoo on
Wednesday 6 March at 7 pm.
Peter and Brendan will demonstrate the skills and repertoire and incredible potential of Irish Traditional Music on the uke. You can then purchase a cash ticket, let us know your skill level and receive some prep information.
WHAT TO DO NEXT
- Get a tenor or concert ukulele.
- Reserve it for Linear D tuning.
- Fit a strap to it.
- Tune Linear D. 1st-B, 2nd-F#, 3rd-D, 4th– low A. (suggest using an electronic tuner)
When you buy your ticket keep an eye out for an email with a link to the preparation which will enhance your enjoyment of the workshop.
Email Pete at email@example.com with any questions about the workshop.
For any questions about Trybooking email Jo Kunde at firstname.lastname@example.org