New Community Bands 2021
New BUMS Performing Groups for 2021
2020 saw the closure of The CAGE. As this door shut another has opened that may well suit you.
Becky Lochel and Ian Phillips, who led The CAGE, will continue in 2021 at a southside venue (to be confirmed) but the format has now changed.
A new band will operate under the tutelage of Becky Lochel on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.
The James Hill method of learning will operate under the tutelage of Ian Phillips. This will be on the 2nd Sunday of the month.
The start dates for each group will be announced when we have a confirmed venue.
Both groups will run independently (but in reality, you can commit to both as if it was The CAGE still operating). Both groups will be performing groups but will run with a different focus. Becky’s group will be run similar to The CAGE with a focus on singing and playing together and hopefully a greater focus on performing (obviously COVID-dependent). Ian’s group will have a major focus on musicality (plucking, note reading from the traditional music staff, music theory, arrangements as well as strumming and singing) with a lesser focus on performing.
We need commitment
We do ask that if you join, that your commitment to either group is strong. That means, practising will be expected and the ability to not commit to anything else on those Sundays. If you cannot commit majorly to that, we believe this is not for you as we believe the groups can only be strong as the weakest link.
Hopefully, we can answer some of your questions.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I have to go to both groups? No
- Can I commit to both groups? Yes. There is an understanding that you will attend most scheduled sessions and practise tasks at home between the sessions.
- Do I have to be at a certain level of proficiency to join? No. The groups are open to anyone at any standard of playing ability.
- Is there a cost to this? No. We do ask for a gold coin donation each week which will go towards afternoon teas (when COVID times begin to end) and resources.
- Do I have to be a BUMS member to come along? Yes. BUMS have allocated funds for hall hire and public liability insurance. If you have not renewed your membership now is the time to do so. It is $25 from now to June 2021.
- When will this begin? We are not sure yet but please express your interest and we will keep you informed.
- What do I need to do now? If either group or both groups interest you, please email an expression of interest to Becky and/or Ian.
We look forward to your responses. New Year! New Start! New Ventures!
Expressions of interest
All band members must be financial BUMS Inc members. To express interest in joining one or both or the bands please email:
• Becky () if you are interested in joining the community band.
• Ian () if you are interested in joining the James Hill group.
If you want to belong to both groups, please email Becky and Ian separately.
Please include the information we need to maintain our contact tracing records.
First name, last name, phone number, email address, postal or street address